Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cautious Conservatism

Hey, all. I saw the nurse practitioner at the campus Health Services on Tuesday. She determined I had sinus and lung infections and a possible one in my throat. I was prescribed a 5 day course of antibiotics and a short-term inhaler. Although Peter really wanted me to race this weekend at the New England DIII Championships, I didn't feel quite right on Saturday and decided it was better to be conservative. Also, the championship part of indoors (ie, the part that actually matters) is just beginning, and I have already raced 16 times this indoor season (including my DNF in the DMR at Valentine). I'm plenty race sharp and very fit- now my concern is just being at 100% for the next three weeks.

Here's the sad, pitiable log from this week:

Monday- off, still can't breathe.

Tuesday- off, still wheezing badly.

Wednesday- 5 miles easy, 40:25, felt ok. Meds started to take effect.

Thursday- 2 miles warmup, 8x220 on Baker St (31, 31, 31, 31, 30, 29, 29, 25) with 220 jog, just striding through and trying to feel easy. I opened up on the last one a little just because I was glad to be running again.

Friday- 7 miles easy, 48:15

Saturday- total of 10 miles jogging around with everyone at NED3s.

Sunday- 10 miles steady, rolling course, 61:13. I have a workout tomorrow, this was just a little moderate effort to get the legs going. Split roughly 33 through the first 5 and 28 for the last.

Total- 38 miles

I'm still not quite 100%, but I'm pretty sure I'll be safe with just running 60s for the first next three weeks instead of 80s. I'm still in great shape, but there's little use to being in great shape if you're too sick to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment