Sunday, January 23, 2011

SH*T SHOW

These entries are never fun to write. I ran my first track race since last May's series of disastrous dropouts today at Harvard. Today's race was technically better than those races in that I finished this one, but when "I finished" is the most positive thing you can say about a race, well, you're not going to be looking forward to writing any blogs, that's for sure. Enough with the suspense, though. I ran 4:28.70 for a fresh mile on a banked track with great competition. I was rested, had had some good workouts, slept fine, and did things sufficiently right to leave me without any real reason for running so bad. I guess I'll just have to leave it at "I had a really bad day, and it sucked, and now it's over, so I'm going to go forward from here."

Where's forward from here? Well, I ran unattached today because Bruce was unsure if my fitness was better than last year's, and wanted to preserve my eligibility for my 5th year if I was unfit. While I know my fitness is not as bad as today suggested, I think it's safe to say I will be keeping my BU uniform safely folded in my room until outdoor track begins. On the other hand, I do believe that it would be a mistake to go find a cabin and exile myself to more training. I haven't done much racing over the last 8 months or so, and I think I need to get back on the horse rather than avoid it.

I ran pretty awful today, and that's bound to happen sometimes. On to the next day, since all the ability at my disposal is powerless to undo today.

Monday 1/17- 13mi easy with Ruben Sanca the whole way, with the team for some. Cold and icy out, took a digger on the 2nd of 4 laps around JP, Bill Rodgers style.

Tuesday 1/18- Roads were terrible, so I asked Bruce to let me work out today. He was fine with it, so I avoided another slipfest AND the dreadmill. I wanted to get in something a little longer at mile gear, so Bruce gave me a relatively short, light workout after I did a 1000 at mile gear. 3 up, 800 worth of striding
1000- 2:36 (62, jumped in behind Eric and Rich, who were doing a 400, ~2:04.5 through 800)
5min jog
500 1:19 (with Ken for the first 400)
2minjog
500 1:23 (these were supposed to be 1:22, but I got out a little too quick on the first one and Bruce said get this one under control)
3min jog
800- 2:16 (69.x/66.x)
2min jog
400- 63.3
1:30 jog
400- 62.2
Pretty good workout, I was very pleased to run 2:36 at the appropriate level of effort. This workout had me thinking breaking 4:10 was in the cards on Sunday. In retrospect, I should have just continued on and run a 1600 time trial in 4:08. Ah, hindsight. 3mi down, tot 9.

Wednesday 1/18- 9 mi easy to JP through some wet snow, JP was clear, ran 9:16 for the lap there, ran into Rob on the way back and ran back with him.

Thursday 1/19- 1PM- 7mi steady on the river, 4x150 in spikes, a 200 in 28.8 relaxed. The guys had a multi-meet Thursday afternoon, and most everybody ran well. 8PM- 37' easy inside after the meet, some with the Melon, who was getting over being sick.

Friday 1/20- 3:30PM- 4 up, 2x5x150, 1:30 jog b/t reps, 5min jog/set. Bruce told me to keep things in the 22 range, and I did. Felt fine. 3mi down outside, sick of indoor laps.

Saturday 1/21- 3PM- 7mi easy with James to JP and back with no lap, drills inside after. I was looking forward to Sunday's race a lot on this run.

Sunday 1/22- 1:30PM- 3up with Rob, 1mi shitshow, 4:28.7 for last in the fast heat, splits I got were 62.5, 2:07.0, 3:15.x, 4:28.7. Yup, that's a 73 last 400, and it was all-out. The only thing I can possibly think of is that I had zero appetite on waking up, and had to force myself to eat two tiny things of fat-free yogurt so I wouldn't be racing on an empty stomach. I don't think that should be worth ~15 seconds in a mile, but with the way I fell apart, I'll grasp at any straw. 1mi down, felt dizzy and shaky.

65mi, 8 runs.

Hope your weeks were all better than mine. Here's to better times and not dwelling on off days.

2 comments:

  1. No appetite? That tells you (me) something is off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Craig, dont take the first race heavy on yourself. Last year I DNFed out of my first race (3k) and then ran 1356 2 weeks later. i also wasnt sure why..

    ReplyDelete